A man has been charged with double murder after an Italian bride and groom-to-be were discovered dead in a flat in the United Kingdom, police said today.
Officers said Andrea Cardinale, 21, was charged in connection with the deaths of Antonino Calabro and Francesca Di Dio after a murder investigation was launched.
The bodies of the twenty-six-year-old, known as Nino, and his 20-year-old fiancée, who had traveled from Italy to visit him for Christmas, were discovered in a flat in North Yorkshire around 2.10pm on Wednesday.
Cardinale has now been charged with two counts of murder, according to Cleveland police.
Cardinale, of Thornaby Road, is due in Teesside Magistrates Court on Monday, December 26.
Meanwhile, a cordon is expected to remain in place on Thornaby Road in the town of Thornaby for several days as police continue their investigation.
Throughout the week, crime scene investigators were seen carrying evidence bags and working in the building, despite the fact that a police cordon had been erected to prevent access to the property.
Nino and Francesca’s families are being supported by specially trained officers, according to police.
According to the Italian newspaper La Stampa, the couple had been engaged for three years when Nino invited Francesca to visit him in the UK over the Christmas holidays.
He was a table games dealer at a casino in Stockton-on-Tees.
The 26-year-old’s parents have left Italy for London, from where they will travel to Yorkshire, it is reported.
Following the tragic news, tributes have poured in on social media from friends and co-workers of the couple.
One of Nino’s colleagues wrote: “Can’t quite believe it… Nino Calabrò rest in peace man.. can’t believe I was only talking to you on Sunday, gonna miss you loads – you were such a laugh to work with.”