Six people were found shot dead inside a California home overnight, including a 17-year-old girl and her 6-month-old baby, authorities said.
The mass shooting happened around 3:30 a.m. Monday at an address on Harvest Avenue in Goshen, according to the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office.
Because of the number of shots that rang out, witnesses who called 911 initially reported the incident as a “active shooter situation,” according to ABC30.
Deputies arrived on the scene and discovered three victims in the home’s doorway. Three more people were discovered inside.
Five of the victims were pronounced dead at the scene and one person died at a hospital.
According to investigators, one of those killed was an elderly woman who was shot in her sleep.
Deputies said the teen mom and the infant had been fatally shot in the head. They have yet to be named.
Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux said two more people who were inside the house at the time of the massacre escaped by hiding.
Officers remained on the scene as the day progressed, and the investigation is ongoing.
Authorities believe the massacre was carried out by at least two gunmen, and that it was possibly gang-related rather than random.