Home Sports Hosts fight back to draw with All Blacks: England 25-25 New Zealand

Hosts fight back to draw with All Blacks: England 25-25 New Zealand

Hosts fight back to draw with All Blacks: England 25-25 New Zealand

England scored three tries in a stunning final eight minutes to salvage an extraordinary draw after being outplayed by New Zealand for much of their Autumn Nations Series match at Twickenham.

Hosts fight back to draw with All Blacks: England 25-25 New Zealand
England 25-25 Zealand

In the first nine minutes, the All Blacks scored two tries, with Codie Taylor crossing at the end of a maul following Dalton Papali’i’s early interception touchdown.

With his team trailing by 17-6 early in the second half, Manu Tuilagi was stopped just short as England clung to the lead.

The tourists appeared to be out of sight when Rieko Ioane broke free after a deft crosskick from Richie Mo’unga to score the third try.

But in the final 10 minutes, England, who had been ineffective and sloppy up until that moment, stormed back to life as substitute Will Stuart clambered over, Freddie Steward scorched in from wide, and Stuart burrowed over once again in the final minute.

Marcus Smith’s decision to kick the ball dead on the final play rather than pursue a victory that had appeared unattainable just a quarter of an hour earlier was met with some boos because of the level of confidence that permeated Twickenham as England plowed ahead against the faltering All Blacks.

The match was England captain Owen Farrell’s 100th appearance and the teams’ first encounter since the hosts’ thrilling semifinal victory at the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan. It was an odd way to top off an odd game.

And a year before France 2023, it is unlikely to answer the issues that surround either team in the wake of inconsistent seasons.

England’s quick finish and New Zealand’s quick start

Within the first eight minutes, whatever chance England had of repeating their quick start in Yokohama was gone.

First, Jack van Poortvliet’s laborious attempt to feed Farrell was intercepted by Papali’i, who had just flown out of the line at the back of a line-out.

The camera turned to the 21-year-old England scrum-half under the posts, who was making just his third Test start, and he caught a glimpse of himself on the big screen. It was a test of character for even the most seasoned veteran, let alone a newcomer.

Taylor squirmed over at the back of a moving maul shortly after, and England fell further behind.

Twickenham was demoralized after 10 minutes when they were 14 points behind. Their squad might have lost after 20 minutes.

Ardie Savea collared Van Poortvliet at the rear of an understaffed ruck, forcing a turnover, and after a series of phases, Rieko Ioane dived over, exposing him once more.

However, as New Zealand prepared to make a straightforward conversion for a 21-0 lead, referee Mathieu Raynal saw Ioane do a neck-roll clearout.

After Farrell and Jordie Barrett traded kicks, England was granted a reprieve and went into halftime with a lucky 17-3 deficit.

After receiving a penalty kick from the opening kickoff of the second half, Luke Cowan-Dickie helped Smith close the lead to 17-6 before skillfully delaying his throw to Tuilagi, who was then successfully pushed through a hole.

Tuilagi was only stopped briefly, though, and four minutes later it appeared that the All Blacks had put an end to the comeback.

Mo’unga made a perfect punt that found Clarke after a turnover. The center had an unobstructed path to the corner after the wing cut inside, stopping England’s defense, and switched with Ioane.

However, England, which had been outplayed and outthought for the majority of the match and was trailing 25-6 after 70 minutes, came back strongly as they used up their bench and New Zealand ran out of steam.

Due to Beauden Barrett’s yellow card, New Zealand was reduced to 14 men. Stuart’s two close-range scores came to either side of a sweeping move that ended with Steward diving over as space opened up.

Both England manager Eddie Jones and his New Zealand counterpart Ian Foster will find the debrief challenging.

The majority of the time, New Zealand lived up to your expectations of them.

They were swift in their thinking and their movements while they played rugby. In contrast to England’s confusion and hesitancy, they made decisions quickly and with no hesitation.

However, England’s enthusiasm and conviction persisted, and as their opponents waned, it was fanned into flames late in the game.

The hosts will be aware that more thorough and reliable performances would be required to compete in tournament campaigns against the finest players in the globe.

Player of the match – Rieko Ioane (New Zealand)

Source: summarybio.com