It was a real stick-to-your-ribs meal.
Doctors were taken aback when they discovered that a four year-“colicky” old’s pain was caused by a magnetic bracelet he’d swallowed.
“We present a case of a 4-year-old boy who ingested multiple magnetic beads,” reads the disturbing case study, which is set to be published in the “Journal Of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports” in February 2023.
According to the article, the child was admitted to the hospital after experiencing “colicky abdominal” pain for two days, as well as “multiple episodes of vomiting and constipation,” according to Jam Press.
Doctors initially diagnosed the boy with acute appendicitis and removed his appendix after an examination. However, his stomach pain persisted, and he began vomiting bile three days later.
When his symptoms didn’t go away after two days, doctors performed an ultrasound to figure out what was wrong.
The shocking cause of his pain was discovered at that point: the child had a bracelet in his stomach. The foreign object, which is an opaque loop of beads lodged inside the child’s abdominal cavity, is visible on accompanying X-rays.
The parents were as surprised as the doctors because they had never seen their son consume anything unusual.
To make matters worse, the body-infiltrating bauble had been obstructing the boy’s intestines and even digging holes into his bowels. To avoid further damage, doctors performed an emergency laparotomy — an operation in which surgeons make an incision in the abdominal cavity — and removed the bracelet, which was made up of 18 hexagonal-shaped magnetic beads. They also repaired the holes in the boy’s intestinal wall.