At least 27 people perished while trying to cross the English Channel in a dinghy last year, and a man has been detained in connection with their deaths.
He is charged with being a member of a group that planned to send the migrants to the UK in November.
On Wednesday, he is scheduled to appear in court in London over his extradition to France, where he is accused of manslaughter.
The incident on November 24, 2021, is regarded as one of the worst Channel migrant tragedies.
A man has been detained in relation to the deaths of at least 27 individuals who perished last year while attempting to cross the English Channel in a dinghy.
Harem Ahmed Abubakar, 32, was detained on Tuesday in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, according to the National Crime Agency.
He is accused of belonging to a group that organized the migration to the UK in November.
He is due to appear in court in London on Wednesday over his extradition to France, where he faces manslaughter charges.
One of the biggest Channel migrant tragedies is thought to have occurred on November 24, 2021.
Craig Turner, the NCA’s deputy director, called the arrest “important.”
“The person apprehended today is accused of having played a significant part in the manslaughter of those who perished,” he said.
We are resolved to do all in our power, in close collaboration with our French partners, to bring about justice for the families of those who lost their lives and to disrupt and bring down the heinous organized criminal networks that are involved in people smuggling.
Suella Braverman, the home secretary, said: “My sympathies are with the relatives of everyone who unfortunately lost their lives in this horrific incident.
“I commend the NCA and other agencies around the UK and France for their relentless work to bring justice for the victims and their families by pinpointing the offenders and making sure they experience the full weight of the law,” said the NCA.